Wednesday, March 03, 2010

"MTV Unplugged in New York" by Nirvana

Honestly. What the fuck is this shit? Nirvana were an amazing band, but Unplugged in New York is fourteen tracks of boring drudgery. It's a self-indulgent mess with few redeeming qualities. The entire idea was retarded, taking an artist known for their distortion-fueled rampages and giving them acoustics, then Kurty's voice goes to hell before the show. Honestly, this piece of shit doesn't deserve to be in any record collection, and I plan on burning my copy as soon as I can.

EDIT: After finally deciding on re-listening to it after deciding I hated it because it was assraped to hell right before my eyes, I have determined that MTV Unplugged in New York isn't actually that bad of an album. The emotion Kurty puts into every song more than makes up for a few lack-lustre performances. However, the only truly great songs on here are The Man Who Sold the World and Where Did You Sleep Last Night?, the rest bordering on being just all right.

P.S.: The omission of Sweet Home Alabama is inexcusable.

2007:
I sit and listen to this album with growing eagerness. Every second, I fall more in love with Kurty's emotional voice. Sure, he isn't the best singer, but you can tell he means every word he sings. As Kurty gets to the last song, Where Did You Sleep Last Night?, I pause, timidly. Is this experience really about to end? Kurty had taken me on a journey, and it was about to end. As Kurty came to the final chorus, his voice rose into a scream, commanding his girl not to lie to him, and tell his the location of her last slumber. The desperation in Kurty's voice shook me. I took in Kurty's every word, and sat there, in awe. A single tear streamed down my face. Before I knew it, it was over. Kurty had packed up and gone away.
R.I.P. Kurt Cobain, 1967 - 1994
A man as pretty okay as a man could be.

No comments:

Post a Comment